Friday, May 11, 2012

The Australian National VTES Championship 2012

So, it was a great day, we had plenty of players (approximately 16 IIRC) and it made for an interesting day of VTES.  I'd decided a couple of weeks out, that I planned to use my "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Disciplines" Deck.  It had done well against some of the sleazier decks my playgroup will drag out when we want a 'quick game' (e.g. Las S&B, !Tor Vote'n'Bloat, Malk Kindred Spirits, Malk 'You will see the three bleed coming... at 4 stealth' and an obnoxious combat deck or two).  The deck itself is basically a swarm deck using Prince Titles (Rake, Volker, Praxis' and Justicar votes) to make a little swarm of baby Brujah that get most of their 'red cards' via 3+ Brujah Debates (there are also Pulled Fangs and T:Vs in there to really ruin the odd day if there is a really painful vampire on the table).  It bloats through votes and also breeding (Con Boons, Anathema + Archon and a few blood dolls around the place).  Defence is easy... 10x 2nd Tradition.  Sure it won't stop S&B sleaze from stealthing past me, but sending in a 1-cap which has 3 maneuvers, a handstrike of 4 + Target: Vitals and maybe a Pulled Fangs puts a dent in most S&B decks.  Especially since it isn't a huge problem to make another baby which can go forward while I devote a 1-cap Archon to keep my predator slow-enough.  The other effect is that it punishes disciplines: Blood Weakens, Veil of Darkness and Slow Withering.  I don't use any discipline cards in the whole deck.  There are clan cards (and I tell you now that this deck ROCKS if I can get a New Carthage on the table... *drools*) and they are really useful, but there are no discipline cards in the deck.

The Nationals went something like this...

I turned up on Table 1, my predator and cross-table brought out 7 votes between them before I got my chance to take a Brujah Justicar action... there goes the chance of getting a decent amount of early titles to then be able to push the rest through and get a little cadre of blockers and voters.  Also, most of my crypt is fairly small (6cap is the largest) and my cross-table was the, now famous, Sha-Ennu Deck (bleed for 6 + Will'o'Wisp to make it unblockable, then do it out of turn with Enkil Cog).   The Sha-Ennu deck demolished 19 pool off my predator in two goes around the table.  While I'd spent basically nothing on minions (about 8-10 pool), I couldn't do much when It takes Sha-Ennu (due to card text) 2 blood to make a 7-bleed unblockable and by then I didn't have the vote-power to also be able to push through those nice Con Boons or even Archons I could use to go upriver against Sha-Ennu and beat some of that Will'o'Wisp blood off (which had already been replaced via Giant's Blood so I knew that if I could get Sha-Ennu down that potentially losing an Embrace to diablerie was a tiny price for the 2 turns I'd be able to buy myself to get set up).  Ousted at the end of my own turn by Sha-Ennu bleeding for 7.  I had plenty of 2nd Traditions in hand at all times during this game, even when I was discarding them (or other more expensive luxuries like Nocturn Theatre).

Result: Screwed by circumstance mostly.  I watched 7 vote come up onto the table (Sha-Ennu is a Regent) because of one player speed-influencing (Dreams turn 1 + 3 transfers, Dreams turn 2 + Zillahs + 4 transfers was more than enough) 11cap Sha-Ennu and my predator bringing out a Priscus immediately before I had my first non-titled minion take an action to become Justicar.
The opening hand I got for this game was good, but I would have loved it during the second game.

Table 2: Sha-Ennu was my predator this time. That was *fun*. Because I got bled by Sha-Ennu for 4+ while I had an Archon Investigation in my opening hand... it was an easy enough start... if it wasn't for the fact that I drew my breed actions and no vote actions... it was just wall-to-wall Third Trads without any Boons to provide the buffer it needed in the later parts of the game.

Result: I bought the time I needed, crippled the Sha-Ennu deck and I got 2VPs from a 5VP table.
The opening hand for this would have been far better in the third game. (It had the minions and I could have stopped buying crypt cards to breed in the third game, but unfortunately I needed the extra minions to get off the Justicar vote on the third table and that, combined with not being aggressive enough on my predator, cost me the game).

Table 3: AAA Prey, Vignes Predator.  This was always going to be a rough ride.  A block-capable of prey can be a real hassle for this deck and you have to choose your action sequence carefully to get through the actions you want.  The Vignes deck did what they do... "Please lose 3+ pool 3x this turn".  Since I spend little on minions, I can usually wear a turn or two of that kind of punishment and be okay.  The later actions, such as making 2 more minions, gaining a title and then having last-turns baby call a Con Boon usually get you through another turn and you can keep on setting up.  PROBLEM: Pool - about 12. Prey blocks the first Con Boon in hand (I would have gained 3 or 4 pool).  I call another Con Boon and get it DI2'd from the Vignes Deck.  This basically spelled the end.  In the next turn I turn around and negotiate an Archon vote through so I can go upriver on the Vignes Deck on the proviso that Archon doesn't rush forwards (which is fine by me, I planned to Anathema backwards anyway).  Ranjan Rishi takes a little nap and in the next turn I made my mistake which cost me the game... I didn't follow it up by smacking another minion into torpor.  My pool was about 6 at the end of that turn.  Two or so bleed were flicked and I was down to under 4 pool, I had myself down as a 50-50 chance of survival... it all depended on a Day-Op/Daring being in my Predator's hand... it was there. 4 bleed, no block possible... game over.  I drew into VERY few of my 2nd Trads and losing all chance of early-to-mid bloat really hurt.  I didn't admit to the others my mistake had been to not go hard enough backwards, but I knew I should have possibly gone "Salmon Method" around the table making deals with my prey not to stop my Archon votes which I could probably get agreement for while I had the Vignes predator (and then just keep on going up the river until I met my prey and then crater his minions and bleed out with the swarm).

Result: 0VP, first off the table.  This opening hand was good, but again would have been great for the first game of the day.



Overall
I spent most of the day feeling like I'd brought a knife to a gunfight.  I know the reliability of that deck, its a fair deal stronger than it performed on the day and it drew the worst I have had it draw for a long time.  It was really disappointing and I suppose I also underestimated the pure sleaze that would be there (in particular the Sha-Ennu deck which I was tabled with twice).  It's one of the few times I've walked away from a tournament and wondered if I wanted to keep playing tournament VTES.  Very demoralising.  I suppose I've been leaving off dissecting this tournament purely because of how much of a mental crush it was... A deck that I have had humming and can easily take whole tables (4 out of 4VPs) getting unceremoniously smashed in 2 out of 3 games and not really having much but a little luck on my side to get 2VPs.

1 comment:

  1. I was play a very similar deck myself very recently, and had similar problems you had in game 1 and 3. If you can't manage to get add. princes/justicar early in the game you're screwed (I tried to address the problem a little bit by adding Elysium. The Palace of Versailles). And If you're blocked when trying to vote (especially Con. Boon), because you don't have enough Brujah Debate out to punish the blocker.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... okay?